Yield: 36 Servings
Ingredients for the dough:
* 1.5 Cups (180 gr) tapioca flour
* 1 Cup (120 gr) potato flour
* 1.5 Cups (240 gr) white rice flour
* 2.5 Tsp. xanthan gum
* 1/2 Tsp. baking powder
* 1/4 Tsp. salt
* 2/3 Cup (150 ml) vegetable oil
* 2 Eggs
* 1 Egg yolk
* 1 Cup (200 gr) sugar
* Orange zest from the peel of 1/2 an orange or lemon zest from the peel of 1 lemon
* Squeezed lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
* 1 Tsp. pure vanilla extract
* 1 Beaten egg, for brushing
* Powdered sugar, for decorating
Ingredients for chestnut filling (1/2 cup):
* 1/2 Cup whole peeled chestnuts
* 2 Tbsp. toasted pecans
* Squeezed orange juice from 1/2 an orange
* 1 Tbsp. orange zest
Ingredients for halva and date honey filling (3/4 cup):
* 150 gr halva
* 2 Tbsp. natural date honey
* 1 Tbsp. whole tahini
* 2 Tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
Ingredients for chocolate filling:
* 200 gr (1 cup) chocolate chips
* 100 gr (about 1 cup) chopped almonds
1. Making the dough: In a medium bowl, sieve all of the flours. Add the xanthan gum, baking powder and salt.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, egg yolk, sugar, lemon or orange zest, orange juice and vanilla extract.
3. Using a hand whisk, gradually add the flour mixture to the oil mixture while mixing. Mix until the dough is formed (avoid over-mixing).
4. Divide the dough into 2-3 parts and create a shape of a flat disc from each part. Wrap in a plastic wrap and let cool in the fridge for 30 minutes.
5. Heat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (medium heat). Line a baking dish with parchment paper.
6. Take out of the fridge one flat disc of dough (one should keep all the rest in the fridge until you're ready to use them). Put the dough on a clean work surface and flatten it until it is about 1/4 cm thick.
Using a dough cutter or a glass, cut out the dough into circles of 6 cm diameter each.
7. For chestnut filling: Grind the chestnuts and the pecans in a blender. Add orange juice and orange zest and process until the mixture becomes a puree. Keep in the fridge until you're ready to use it.
8. For chocolate filling: Mix the chocolate chips with the chopped almonds.
9. For halva filling: Grind the tahini, date honey, halva and lemon in a blender until the mixture becomes a puree. Keep the mixture in the fridge until you're ready to use it.
10. Shape the Hamantasch and bake them: Put 1 tsp of the filling in the center of each dough circle. Fold the margins of the dough above it to create a triangle. Tighten the margins well. Gently brush the dough with a beaten egg.
11. Bake for about 20 minutes, until the Hamantasch cookies become golden brown. Cool completely. Scatter powdered sugar above the cookies.